Airbus expected to bag $4.5 billion deal from Cebu Pacific

Aviation Updates Philippines – International news agency Reuters reported that the Philippines' leading low-cost airline Cebu Pacific is already ironing out plans to seal a $4.5 billion aircraft acquisition deal from Airbus, according to industry sources.
UPGRADED AIRBUS A330. The Airbus A330neo is an upgraded and modified variant based on the classic Airbus A330 series. It features new engines and better cabin products with longer range and higher MTOW. Photo from Airbus.
The European planemaker is in competition with its rival, the US planemaker Boeing as both continue to strive for more aircraft orders in this year's Paris Air Show. 

Based on the report, the deal involves the procurement of Airbus' latest offerings, 16 Airbus A330-900neo and 10 A321XLR. A total of 40 aircraft are expected to be involved, including options for additional aircraft.

At the start of the Paris Air Show 2019, Airbus unveiled the newest A321 variant that offers a range of 4,700 nautical miles and is dubbed as the world's "longest range single-aisle airliner." The A321XLR boasts a 15 percent range increase and a 30 percent decrease in fuel burn per seat.

It was recently reported by international news authorities that Cebu Pacific was leaning towards cutting its exclusivity ties with Airbus as it plans on buying the Boeing 787 Dreamliner instead of the widebody offering from the rival planemaker.

However, it seems like the deal did not push through as Airbus may have rescued by providing heavy discounts or other enticing offers.

Early this year, it was first revealed that Cebu Pacific was eyeing to replace its fleet of eight aging Airbus A330-300 aircraft. All of which are mainly used for regional and domestic flights including some for its long-haul operations.

In a recent poll conducted by Aviation Updates Philippines, 68 percent of the respondents voted for the Airbus A330-900neo to be the replacement of Cebu Pacific's fleet. The remaining 32 percent voted for the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.